Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Tuesday With Morrie


On Monday, one of my students came in with a book that she is supposed to read for her scholarship program. It was Tuesdays With Morrie. I had seen the book on display in the bookstores about a year ago. This was about the same time that another book was popular called The Last Lecture. I didn’t read that book, but I did watch the video presentation and showed it to a couple of my classes last year. I wonder what allows some people the privilege to ponder how they live and how they live out there last days. My first inclination is that it must be something that the only the well off can afford to do, but that doesn’t seem to hold true especially for the examples of the rich and famous who always seem to be seeking applause or even negative attention so long as it is attention. It reminds me of some students whom I think needed to be held more as babies. Well, without too much digression, I asked if I could check it out. I looked at the first page or so. However, she forgot to pick it up, and I forgot to give it back, so I got to spend Tuesday with Morrie. (I had to call-in because of child care).

It seems that both of these professors decided to live life doing the things that suited them, chasing their dreams, and shining a little light (or as it turns out very big lights) where they were. “Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.” (Matt 5:15 KJV)

It just so happens that I’ve been weighing the quality of my own life. For quite a while, I’ve felt the pressure and heat of the crucible that has become my home. It struck me as odd last week when another straw landed that I could just shrug it off. I’m still not sure why it didn’t really bother me. A; I’m too frustrated to allow it to affect me and I’ve given up, B; fire forged me strong enough to endure more disappointment and dashed hope, C; I’ve obviously lost what little piece of mind I had left, or D; some of my true friends just happened to pray that I don’t go postal. Mitch Albom the author of Tuesdays quotes Morrie as saying, “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” (p. 43) I can’t say that I was chasing the wrong things, because I wasn’t doing that necessarily. However, I often wonder if my motive for chasing the right things became more selfish than gracious. Does that make sense? Imagine your beloved gave you the thing your heart most desires. For visualization sake, we’ll say that your significant other gave you the car (if it were me, it’d be a 1967 Corvette- convertible blue metallic flake with black racing stripe) you always wanted. Then you spend all washing, waxing, accessorizing, driving and at Auto Zone. I began to define myself by “the car.” And the relationship with the Giver wasn’t as important as the gift to me. I fell into doing things to keep the car happy. Yeah, wouldn’t you feel better Carrie (some cars are named by their owners) with a nice wash and wax? Anyway, before I go plumb crazy with this. All too often we define ourselves by our jobs, our stuff, our relationships, and any other things or activities that are all vanity. “Vanity of vanities…all is vanity.” (Ecclesiastes 12:8) I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of being self-conscious. I just want to do me. I never completely fit in anywhere anyway. And if it’s not about love, then it’s not about anything. “Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'” (Matt 22:37,38)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home