Monday, February 18, 2008

call Him, Call, Him, CALL HIM

Not too long after dinner and even sooner after listening to a Tye Tribbit song, my one-year old son was sitting in his high chair yelling for the sake of yelling. He did it almost with a regular rhythm. I was still rocking in my chair singing the song. "Call Him! Call Him! Call Him!" I sang on every forward rock. So I decided to try to get him to say "Jesus!" instead of the unintelligible shouting he was already doing. I really would have gotten a kick out of it had it worked. It was at this point that Assata, five-year old daughter, says to me, "Daddy, I know Jesus's cell phone number."
"What is it?" I asked with my eyebrows knitted together and already amused. Then she told me, and I even saved it in my phone.
"It's a secret," she added. "You should hide it in somewhere in your phone."
"Okay, baby," I agreed. "Where'd you get it?"
"Miss Nicole and Reaia gave it to me." This is my daughter's best friend and her mother. I told her that I probably wouldn't use it, because I usually just pray when I want to talk to Jesus. Lately, I don't really know what position to take in praying about a situation I have. I'm torn between praying for what I would consider a miraculous working of the Holy Spirit and accepting things that I cannot change. The Word says that sometimes we don't even know what to pray for, but the Holy Spirit interprets. "And in the same way—by our faith—the Holy Spirit helps us with our daily problems and in our praying. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how to pray as we should; but the Holy Spirit prays for us with such feeling that it cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows, of course, what the Spirit is saying as He pleads for us in harmony with God's own will." (Romans 8:26-27, TLB.) Well, thank God because I don't know if I'm coming or going, but I do know that I can trust the Shepard to guide me through the times when I can't see the path.
I can still hear my mother's usually alto voice swing down into tenor, "If you need the Holy Ghost, tell Him what you want. O..." If you're sick and can't get well, if you need the Holy Ghost, If you know that Jesus is still on the mainline, tell Him what you want. I am, then I'm going to leave the miracle or the acceptance up to His will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home